The first time that I have travelled light was this last January when I went to Thailand for two weeks and I was kind of forced to do it. It was our very first family trip, with my parents and my aunt and because they felt more comfortable booking the internal flight in advance I booked an internal flight from Koh Samui back to Bangkok with Nok Air. They offer a combined ticket (Fly’n’Ferry program which includes fast boat+flight tickets) which is much cheaper than flying directly from Koh Samui airport as the price of the tickets is prohibitive.
What happened then?
After purchasing the tickets I realised that we didn´t have enough time to be able to do the drop out for our luggage, only 45 minutes to get from the bus to the actual plane, oops!!
So just in case, we decided to travel light with a 40L backpack.
I was concerned that we weren´t going to have enough space to pack everything and I was competelly wrong, we had. We cleverly selected the clothes and assessed what was actually needed at what was redundant. I personally had to redo the combination of clothes a couple of times but finally I made it.
Things you need to pack for 2 weeks in Thailand – essentials:
- 2 pairs of long trousers: for the temples and to cover your legs at night to avoid mosquito bites. Also useful for the chilly nights
- 3 pairs of shorts: I personally found shorts more convenient than skirts but this is a personal choice, you are going to need them, it´s really hot
- 5 t-shirts: 1 with long sleeve for the temples, 2 with short sleeves and 2 without
- 1 microfiber towel, just in case
- 1 sarong: for the beach, to covering your legs before getting into the temples, for the chilli nights or aircon buses…
- 2 bikinis because we were going to spend one week on the beach
- 4 snickers and 2 bras and 2 pairs of socks
- 1 pair of trekking sandals
- 1 pair of trekking shoes
- 100ml of laundry detergent: to wash my clothes on the way
- 1 bottle of sun cream
- 2 bottles of mosquito repellent (mosquitoes love me!)
- Mini set of toiletries
- Mini set of medicines
- Sunglasses yeiiiii
- 1 small backpack
- Camera, phone and chargers
And that´s it! Easy peasy right. So easy to carry and move around. I discovered the benefits of travelling light and I really liked it. I realised how easy was to do it once you change your mind-set and how convenient it is.
I packed the clothes very wisely, matching bottom parts and upper parts and it really helped to select the clothes on a daily basis and to pack again when we moved from one place to the other.
Do you already travel light? What essential for you when travelling? Any tips you would like to share with us? I´m more than happy to hear from you.
Happy Friday everyone and stay around!